EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT THE DONATION PROCESS
Sperm and egg donation is an alternative solution to the problem of men and women, who are unable to have children with their own genetic material. Factors responsible for infertility vary depending on the gender, age, heredity, or due to cases of:
- serious illness
- medication that affects the health of the children to be born
- state of health after certain surgeries
- premature menopause in women
- lack of healthy sperm or total absence of sperm in men.
A prerequisite for any act of donation is the anonymity of both donors and recipients for the present and the future, which is protected by the current Greek and European legal framework.
Every year 1,500 children are conceived in Greece through egg donation, while today, more than one million children worldwide are born from egg donation programs. Egg donation has proven to be very successful, with pregnancy rates that can reach up to 78% per attempt. At the same time, it is the only available treatment for women who cannot produce their own eggs, those who have made many unsuccessful attempts of in vitro fertilization or those who are in menopause (without a period) and would like to become mothers. In our clinic, there is an ongoing egg donation program, based on a bank of donors who wish to offer their eggs anonymously. The decision of becoming a donor for most of the women comes from the desire to help other couples realize their dream of becoming parents and under Greek law, receive compensation for their medication and expenses. Thanks to this program, a significant number of infertile couples have been helped due to their reduced / low quantity/quality eggs.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Candidate egg donors remain anonymous, according to the Greek legislation, and they ought to sign the special consent documents.
- Each donor undergoes a series of medical and psychological tests to confirm both her good health and see whether she will be able to respond properly to the treatment.
- Medimall IVF Clinic Egg Donation Program is based on equal treatment of both the recipient and the donor. Both groups of women are offered the same personalized treatment and care throughout the program.
If you are between 18 and 32 years old and wish to become an egg donor, please fill out the contact form here
Like egg donation, it is an act of altruism and social contribution. It aims to give infertile couples the valuable gift of a family. Participation in the sperm donation program is also voluntary and is not remunerated (article 8 of law 3305/2005). Sperm donors are compensated only for travel expenses and absence from work to be able to come at the Sperm Bank, and for having their health checked through special examinations before giving the sample.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Candidate sperm donors remain anonymous, according to the Greek legislation and they ought to sign the special consent documents.
- Each donor undergoes a series of medical and psychological tests in order to confirm his good health.
If you are between 18 and 32 years old and wish to become a sperm donor, please fill out the contact form here
THE SCREENING PROCESS OF DONOR & DONOR CANDIDATES AT OUR CLINIC
Candidates, after filling in the relevant contact form, come to the clinic by appointment for a personal interview. On the same day, they will undergo a series of tests and examinations which will certify the integrity of their physical and mental health as well as their mental clarity. At the same time, they will fill in their written consent to participate in the donation programme and the relevant declaration of responsibility for the truth and accuracy of the information they record.
After the 3-week period, the results of all tests are completed, at which time they are certified as eligible to participate in the Medimall IVF Clinic’s genetic material donation programs.
It is worth mentioning that all medical, laboratory, pharmaceutical and nursing expenses before, during and after the reception of the genetic material (which are related to this procedure) are fully covered. The donors’ travel and accommodation expenses, their loss of income (positive loss) due to their absence from work and compensation for biological stress are also covered. According to decisions of the ΕΑΙΥΑ, the compensation of the oocyte donor has to be 1 700 €. Similarly, the compensation of the sperm donor shall not exceed the amount of 700 € and not less than 400 € .
SIGN UP TO THE MEDIMALL
Subscribe to our newsletter and be informed on the latest news and developments in Health and Fertility